The Dockmaster serves as the ambassador for the marina and is the first person with whom a customer will interact. The Dockmaster is responsible for the safe mooring of vessels, general operation of the docks, assisting boaters, and maintaining a safe and clean environment throughout the harbor and marina facilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees the management of berthing, mooring, storage and servicing of boats within the marina
- Daily inspection and maintenance to provide a clean and safe facility
- Manage, train, and supervise dock staff
- First line of customer service for incoming boats
- Responsible for daily operations of marina docks
- Supervise renting of slips
- Ensures that boaters observe all marina rules and regulations
- Availability to work overtime when required
- Ability to work weekends and holidays
Technical and Physical Requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred
- 2-5 years’ marina experience preferred
- Ability to work safely around the water
- Must be able to swim
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Basic boat handling skills preferred
- Knowledge of dock construction and repair preferred
- Knowledge of basic power tools preferred
Minimum Soft Skills Qualifications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Positive attitude and willingness to learn
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service and an understanding of customers’ needs
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills while working both independently and within a team context
- Organizational skills are a must
- Demonstrates ability to prioritize and work unsupervised
- Eager to engage in a growing, fast paced, and industry-leading company
Safe Harbor Marinas, LLC (SHM) is the largest owner and operator of marinas in the world. As a fast-growing private equity sponsored company, SHM cultivates a team dynamic of passionate individuals led by the sharpest minds in the industry in order to serve the vibrant boating community that encompasses the SHM network. SHM offers professional education and training opportunities including ABYC, manufacturers’ certifications and the chance to work with – and learn from – highly experienced marina professionals. In addition, SHM offers eligible employees healthcare benefits, 401(k) plans, paid time off, and relocation opportunities.
Gaines Marina located in Rouses Point is an active waterfront community perched on the picturesque shores of Lake Champlain, in the northeast part of New York State. Beautifully situated among the Green Mountains and Adirondack High Peaks, with Burlington, VT within an hour’s drive. It’s an ideal place to live, work and play.
Safe Harbor Marinas provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applications for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Safe Harbor complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. The policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
- marina: 1 year (Preferred)