University of Birmingham – Research Support Services
|Salary:||£39,993 to £53,690 a year|
|Placed on:||13th February 2018|
|Closes:||27th February 2018|
The University of Birmingham has a strong ambition to grow its external research grant income, and the area of research grant set-up and support has been identified as a priority for investment. A new Research Set-up and Support team is being established within Research Support Services, in order to provide academic staff with dedicated support in relation to the set-up of their projects following a successful grant application. We are now seeking to recruit an experienced research manager to establish and lead the team.
The new Research Set-up and Support team will compromise five Research Set-up & Support Facilitators who will operate flexibly across the Colleges under the direction of the Research Set-up & Support Manager. They will provide expert support to academic staff in the setting up of their new grant-funded projects, as well as troubleshooting any major issues which emerge in the ongoing management of their research projects.
There are four main dimensions to the Research Set-up & Support Manager role:
- Managing the team of Research Set-up & Support Facilitators, providing support and advice on prioritisation, and the resolution of research set-up issues, and ensuring the team resource is deployed flexibly and effectively, giving consideration to the differing needs of the Colleges.
- Project managing the grant set-up phase for major strategic grants, working alongside the Heads of Strategic Projects, School operations staff, and senior academic leads.
- Maintaining expert understanding of grant set-up and support processes across the University, and proactively looking at ways of improving and streamlining the grants set-up process as experienced by academic staff, making recommendations to the Director of Research Support Services as necessary.
- Acting as a clear and visible contact point for University issues around grant set-up and the running of projects, liaising senior leads in relevant Professional Service areas to help ensure academic concerns are captured and addressed.
Alongside working with senior academic researchers on the establishment of specific major research projects, the Research Set-up & Support Manager will be the lead point of contact across the University for generic issues relating to the set-up phase of research projects, and the experience of academics during this phase. They will be seek to drive and facilitate process improvements through discussion with senior Professional Service colleagues; or escalate issues to the Director of Research if necessary.
For further information: https://intranet.birmingham.ac.uk/finance/RSS/grant-setup/index.aspx.
Candidates will possess:
- Honours degree or equivalent.
- Knowledge and understanding of the UK research funding environment, key funders and their processes.
- Knowledge and understanding of a range of current research management areas, such as contracts, research costing/budgeting, research governance, ethical review, data sharing, open access, intellectual property, equality and diversity, etc.
- Experience of supporting research in an academic, public-sector, or commercial research environment and of university collaboration with external academic and non-academic partners.
Informal enquiries can be made to Ian Lyne (email@example.com).
Closing date: 27 February 2018.
To download the details of this position and submit an electronic application online please click on the Apply button below; please quote Job Ref 58713 in all enquiries.
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment.
Share this job
Type / Role:
Midlands of England